INDIVIDUALIZED SUPERVISED PRACTICE PATHWAY (ISPP)
The Individualized Supervised Practice Pathway (ISPP) is an alternative supervised practice pathway which, upon completion, allows graduates of Didactic Program in Dietetics to sit for the Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) exam. The UArizona ISPP program is accredited through Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) and requires a minimum of 1400 hours of supervised practice hours with rotations in clinical nutrition, community nutrition, food service, and others.
The Tucson Track has an emphasis in community food systems and agriculture. Distance interns are able to choose an emphasis area in Medical Nutrition Therapy or Community Nutrition, based on their interests and opportunities for training in their home community. The School of Nutritional Sciences and Wellness facilitates the program but interns must be self-directed and disciplined. It is up to the intern to communicate with rotation preceptors and coordinate completion of each rotation including all required competencies, projects, assignments and administrative paperwork.
Only Alumni of the UArizona DPD program are considered for the Tucson Track. A small cohort of Tucson Track Interns will be admitted for 2022-2023. Applicants who did not complete the Didactic Program in Dietetics at UArizona are only eligible for the Distance Track.
The University of Arizona Didactic Program in Dietetics, which includes the ISPP program, is accredited by Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000, Chicago, IL
60606-6995, (312) 899-0040, ext. 5400
The mission of the program is to provide foundation knowledge and skills in dietetics and successfully prepare competent graduates for supervised and entry-level practice as dietitians in the state and the nation.
The ISPP provides students a quality education for entry into supervised practice, graduate school, or the workforce in nutrition or a related field.
- The program's one-year pass rate (graduates who pass the registration exam within one year of first attempt) on the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists is at least 80%
- 80% of ISPP Interns complete program / degree requirements within 150% of the program length.
- 90% of ISPP Interns will be employed in the fiend of nutrition and dietetics within one year of completing the program.
- 80% of ISPP Interns rate the overall quality of the program as "Excellent" or "Good."
The ISPP Program provides students with experiential learning opportunities to develop skills, knowledge, and beliefs to be successful in supervised practice, graduate school, or the workforce in nutrition or a related field.
- The program’s one-year pass rate (graduates who pass the registration exam within one year of first attempt) on the CDR credentialing exam for dietitian nutritionists is at least 80%.
- 80% of ISPP Interns complete program/degree requirements within 150% of the program length.
- 90% of ISPP interns will be employed in the field of nutrition and dietetics within one year of completing the program.
- 80% of ISPP Interns will rate the overall quality of the program as “Excellent” or “Good”.
The UArizona ISPP program does not participate in computer matching.
UArizona DPD graduates are given preference when applying for the UArizona ISPP program. Consideration will be given to strong applicants who are not graduates of the UA DPD program, particularly for the Distance pathway. A selection committee will select interviews based on a review of their application packet and interview.
Interns who are offered acceptance into the program will have 48 hours to respond; after 48 hours, the offer may be withdrawn. Acceptance will not be deferred. Individuals are eligible to apply for the ISPP ONLY if they have previously participated in the dietetic internship match process within the past 24 months. After being admitted, interns will have the opportunity to state preferences for their concentration rotation and when possible, interns will be scheduled in the concentration rotation of their choosing.
Tucson Track applications are accepted once per year in April/May. An application timeline is posted below.
Distance Track applications are accepted three times per year depending on when the applicant wants to start. Applicants must submit their application at least 3-4 months before their intended start date to allow time for application review, establishment of contracts and intern on boarding procedures.
Distance applicants are encouraged to reach out the ISPP Coordinators to discuss their application in advance.
Distance Application Deadlines:
January 15th to start April, May, June, or July
April 15th to start August, September, October or November
October 15th to start January, February, or March
2022 ADMISSIONS TIMELINE
|April 3||Notification Day - Match results posted through D&D Digital.|
|April 4||Appointment Day - Matched applicants must contact dietetic internship to confirm intent to attend program.|
|April 6||Scramble Match begins - Names of dietetic internship programs that did not fill their class - and authorized the release of their name - will appear on dnddigital.com. Applicants who did not match may contact Dietetic Internship Directors.|
|April 15||ISPP application packet due to program coordinator. Incomplete packets will not be reviewed.|
|April 25||Top applicants contacted to schedule interviews (May 4-5)|
|May 13||Applicants notified of selection decision for ISPP.|
|May TBD||Administrative Orientation - Proof of immunizations, professional liability insurance, and background check fee due. These will be individually scheduled meetings.|
|July 1||Program fee due - $10,000.|
|TBD||Mandatory ISPP Orientation.|
|TBD||Tentative start date of ISPP rotations.|
- Internship Application Guide 2022 - Includes costs, requirements, important dates, etc.
- DPD/ISPP Student Handbook (2020-2021)
- Work & Volunteer Experience Calculation Form
- Distance Application Form
- Memorandum of Understanding Template
- DPD Requirements Worksheet - UA Alumni
- DPD Requirements Worksheet - Outside Applicants