Professional Science Masters Program
Professional Science Master’s in Applied Nutrition
The Professional Science Master’s in Applied Nutrition serves the needs of students, educators, registered dietitian nutritionists (RDNs), and health professionals interested in obtaining advanced training in the application of nutrition science to human health, and developing valuable professional skills (e.g., leadership, writing and communication skills, project management) while gaining hands-on experience in business or the public sector.
Coursework for this 30-unit Master’s degree program will be offered 100% online through the University of Arizona’s Online Campus, providing maximum flexibility to students, many of whom we anticipate to be working professionals. The program is designed to be completed in less than 2 years.
Unlike existing Master’s in Nutrition Science programs, the Professional Science Master’s includes 6 credit hours of graduate level practicum during which students will work with a partner organization to complete approximately 270 hours (45 hours per unit of credit) of supervised practice that will serve as their graduate capstone project. Students will also have the opportunity to complete 6 units of PLUS coursework tailored to their profession and/or professional development goals.
Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- BS or BA in Nutrition from an accredited institution.
- If undergraduate degree is in a field other than nutrition, coursework in physiology, biochemistry and a 400 (senior) level course in nutrition and disease is required.
- Undergraduate GPA Minimum 3.0 GPA.
- International students must submit a Minimum TOEFL (internet-based) score of 79 or (paper-based) score of 550. The minimum IELTS (overall band score) is 7.
Additionally, because the program is delivered online, the following student characteristics are essential to successfully completing the program:
- Self-directed, independent learner
- Able to manage time effectively
- Effective written and verbal communication
- Able to utilize a wide range of resources effectively
NSC 501: Statistics for Applied Nutritional Sciences (1)
NSC 509: Advanced Nutrition Metabolism and Disease (3)
NSC 519: Advanced Applied Nutritional Sciences (3)
NSC 542: Advanced Medical Nutrition Therapy (3)
NSC 545: Body Composition (3)
NSC 575: Nutrigenomics (3)
NSC 502: Statistics for Applied Nutritional Sciences II (1)
PLUS Coursework (6)
Practicum Prep (1)
NSC 694: Practicum (6)
Resident and Non-residents: $650 per unit. QTR may be applied for this program.
- Purpose statement
- Official transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation
- GRE is optional
For more information regarding this program, please visit http://grad.arizona.edu/programs/programinfo/ANPSM
Kayle Skorupski, MS, RDN-AP, CSG, CNSC