(Please note: Dr. Howell is not available to be a Major Advisor for new students and does not have opportunities for students to work on research projects.)
- PhD - Health Professions Education, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- MEd - Nutrition and Dietetics, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
- Dietetic Internship: Cincinnati General Hospital, Cincinnati, OH
- BS - Home Economics-Dietetics, Miami University, Oxford,OH
Peer-Reviewed Publications Originating from Research
- Higgins KJ, Reid PM, Houtkooper LB, Going SB, Howell WH. Effect of acute changes in hydration on body composition estimates from bioimpedance analysis and bioimpedance spectroscopy. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2007;39:(in preparation).
- Howell WH, Feurer ID. Meta-analytic evaluation of the effects of demographic, study, and subject characteristics on changes in plasma total cholesterol and lipoprotein concentrations. Am J Clin Nutr 2007;85:(in preparation).
- Earthman CP, Traughber DC, Dobratz JR, Howell WH. Bioimpedance spectroscopy for clinical assessment of fluid distribution and body cell mass: a review. Nutr Clin Pract 2007;10:(invited; accepted 02/07).
- Higgins KJ, Reid PM, Going SB, Howell WH. Validation of bioimpedance spectroscopy to assess acute changes in hydration status. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2007;39:(accepted 01/07).
- Earthman CP, Reid PM, Harper IT, Ravussin E, Howell WH. Body cell mass repletion and improved quality of life in HIV-infected individuals receiving oxandrolone. J Paren Enter Nutr 2002;26:357 365.
- Cordero-MacIntyre ZR, Peters W, Libanati CR, España RC, Abila SO, Howell WH, Lohman TG. Reproducibility of DXA in obese women. J Clin Densitom 2002;5:35 44.
- Staten LK, Taren DL, Howell WH, Tobar M, Poehlman ET, Hill A, Reid PM, Ritenbaugh C. Validation of the Arizona activity frequency questionnaire using doubly labeled water. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2001;33:1959 1967.
- Weber JL, Reid PM, Greaves KA, DeLany JP, Stanford VA, Going SB, Howell WH, Houtkooper LB. Validity of self-reported energy intake in lean and obese young women, using two nutrient databases, compared with total energy expenditure assessed by doubly labeled water. Eur J Clin Nutr 2001;55:940 950.
Invited Chapters and Reviews
- Sullivan Maillet J, Howell WH. Advanced level and specialty practice: how necessary or beneficial are they for practitioners? In Bloch A, Sullivan Maillet J, Howell WH, Winkler M (eds): Issues and Choices in Clinical Nutrition Practice. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007:44 57.
- Howell WH. Nutrition and coronary artery disease. In Bloch A, Sullivan Maillet J, Howell WH, Winkler M (eds): Issues and Choices in Clinical Nutrition Practice. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007:308 318.
- Howell WH. Anthropometry and body composition analysis. In Matarese LE, Gottschlich MM (eds): Contemporary Nutrition Support Practice: A Clinical Guide. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2003:31 44.
- Bloch A, Sullivan Maillet J, Howell WH, Winkler M (eds): Issues and Choices in Clinical Nutrition Practice. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2007.